Energy balls are a brilliant healthy snack, one-upping energy bars purely by having a more fun shape – they’re easier to toss up in the air and catch in your mouth for one. They’re also incredibly easy to make yourself if you have a food processor and some kitchen scales, saving a decent wodge of money in the process.
Start with this terrific recipe from Michelin-starred chef Tom Kerridge’s new book Lose Weight & Get Fit (Bloomsbury Absolute, £22). The balls are full of dried fruit and fibre-rich oats, and pack in bundles of flavour as well. It’ll take you no time at all to whip up a batch of 20 balls – and you can then chill or freeze them to have to hand whenever you need a tasty energy hit.
Ingredients (Makes 20 Balls)
- 200g dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 100ml boiling water
- 50g dried apples
- 50g raisins
- 100g rolled oats
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 150g almonds, toasted
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp almond extract
- 1tbsp vanilla extract
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2tbsp honey
- Place the dried apricots in a heatproof bowl and pour on the boiling water. Cover and leave to soak for ten minutes.
- Put the rest of the ingredients into a food processor. Drain the apricots in a sieve over a bowl to save the water. Add the apricots to the food processor and pulse until the ingredients are well combined. If the mixture is too dry, add a little of the apricot water and pulse again.
- Divide the mixture into 20 balls, each a little larger than a golf ball, and roll each ball well so they’re evenly sized.
- Place on a tray and refrigerate for an hour before eating. Store any uneaten energy balls in the fridge and eat within ten days. If you want to keep them for longer, freeze them on a baking tray so they don’t stick together, then transfer to a rigid container. Defrost in the fridge.
Per ball: 124 calories, 3g protein, 12g carbohydrates, 6g fat, 3g fibre
Lose Weight & Get Fit (Bloomsbury Absolute, £22) is out now. Photography by Cristian Barnett.
Buy Lose Weight & Get Fit on Amazon | £22 (currently reduced to £11)